Cross-border telephony

I’m tired of paying silly cellphone roaming charges when I travel south of the border.

I’m curious about the possibility of getting a US SIM card for my iPhone, and switching my “main” contact number to my GrandCentral number, which will then call various numbers (two cell numbers, landline, possibly softphone).

I used a European pre-paid SIM card last time I was there, and that worked fine, but I’m asking about the GrandCentral bit in particular, as well as any good plans/prepaid cards for the US that work for my episodic usage needs.

Any advice?

1 Comment

  1. I switched to GrandCentral for my main (415) number a couple months ago. So far it’s been working out well. I simply use a pay-as-you-go phone when I’m in the US, so I can’t offer any advice on the iPhone SIM card thing. Presumably it would work the same way since you’ve already using an unlocked iPhone.

    One thing I’ve found annoying is that I haven’t been able to get GrandCentral and SkypeIn voicemail to play nicely. And occasionally the landline->voip->landline->voip “double conversion” results in horrific call quality. Less often than I expected though, to the point that I answer most calls to my GC # via SkypeIn on my laptop.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s